I then walked around my yard for 30 minutes gathering sticks (with Adam's help). I tried to get them of all sizes because I didn't want it to look uniform. Here they are before I painted them.
I then took the spray painted cardboard and began gluing the sticks (using a hot glue gun), trying to make I lined them up as best as I could.
Here WAS my finished product. I then decided it was WAY too big and I didn't like that you could see so much of the cardboard. So, I broke each stick off to the length I wanted. Then I went out and gathered a bunch of small skinny sticks to go in between the others. I thought this would make it more full.
And it did. I love it. It turned out GREAT. I chose not to spray paint the small sticks. I left them in their natural wood. I love the rustic look of it and it was actually pretty fun to make. I plan to tie a bow on it or put am "M" on it or something to personalize it a little more.
I don't have a clue where I am going to hang it so for now, it's hanging behind our door. I have already been asked to make one for a Silent Auction for around Christmas time.